Writing Tips for
Grants & Thesis Dissertations
From the Duke Department of Medicine:
The Department of Medicine's vice chair for faculty development and diversity has collected a number of grant writing resources and successful sample grants that are available for review by Duke faculty and trainees. Follow the link below to view a list of resources - log into Duke Box using your Duke Net ID and password and click a link below to access the documents. Note: Do no use anyone else's text without permission.
On NSF Grants:
Sample Grant Proposals - Indiana University
- From the National Science Foundation: "A Guide for Proposal Writing"
- From National Science Foundation: "How to Get NSF Funding: A View from the 'Inside'"
- From Carnegie Mellon University: "Advice on Writing Proposals to the National Science Foundation"
- From the Principal Investigator's Association: "Executive Report: How to Write a Winning NSF Proposal"
- From Sunshine Consultants Int'l: "Writing a Compelling Grant Proposal to NSF"
- "Writing an NSF Grant Proposal: A First Timer's Perspective" by Philip J. Guo, Associate Professor @ UC San Diego
On NRSA Grants:
- From Science Direct: A Practical Guide to Writing a Ruth L. Kirschstein NRSA Grant
- From Illinois University: How to Win an NIH/Kirschstein/F30-F31 Predoctoral Fellowship - The Nuts & Bolts
- How to Write an F30 - Sidenote, Tumblr
- Thoughts on Writing an F31 NRSA Award - University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
- From the University of Colorado: Sample NRSA Proposals
- From the Burroughs Wellcome Fund & Howard Hughes Medical Institute: "Making the Right Moves: A Practical Guide to Scientific Management for Postdocs & New Faculty"